Monday, 20 February 2017

Relying too much on technology.

The past few weeks have been hectic for me with work, the PIDP program, and just life in general.
This last weekend I finally had some time to sit down and do some work for my PIDP 3250 program, which I have been neglecting, and the server was down for maintenance.
Needless to say, I wasn't able to complete all of the work I had intended on working through, instead putting it off once again until I could log back in.

With all of the technology that is already in the classroom, and new technology arriving every day, are we relying on it too much?
How many times do we see instructors struggle with computer, projector, or even basic TV technical difficulties? Usually the issue is resolved and the class goes on, but in some cases these issues cannot be overcome, and a the teacher is left standing in front of a class without any prepared teaching materials.
How often in these cases would a simple paper handout, run through the copy machine, suffice to help guide students through the learning process?

With many classrooms allowing/requiring assignments being submitted online, how do we address issues of due dates not being met when the excuse is technical difficulties?
"My internet was down", "My computer crashed", "The school server was down"....these are fast becoming "The dog ate my homework" of today.




I did some quick research on too much technology in the classroom, and came across this article, which makes a case for more technology in classrooms, as well as the case for keeping more traditional teaching methods.

Making the case for technology in the classroom it proposes the ability to more deeply immerse students into learning environments, preparing students for the workplace of tomorrow, and the ability to create personal learning environments tailored to individual student needs.

In the case for lower-tech classrooms it suggests that meaningful engagement comes from interactions with peers and teachers, points out that technology is expensive and quickly becomes obsolete, and also addresses the issue of teachers having time to learn these technologies in order to utilize them in the classroom.

Technology has opened up a world of opportunity, but with it a whole new world of challenges as well, and striking a balance seems to be getting more impossible everyday.

As I am submitting this my battery is dangerously low, I hope it loads in time, I don't know if I saved my work...

No comments:

Post a Comment