Lesson
Planning Components
____________________________________________________________________________
Peter
JJ Parkinson
Student
I.D. 000363328
Vancouver
Community College
PIDP
3100
Abstract
The following report is based on 5 of the 8 lesson planning
components outline in the PDIP 3100 course. The 5 I chose to research
further are: Learning Taxonomies, Creating a Positive Classroom
Climate or Learning Environment, Assessment (Formal and Informal) and
the Role of Feedback, Media and Learning Aids, and Planning
Approaches, Tips, Techniques and Tools.
I will provide a link to a resource on each topic that I have
researched, explain my rationale in choosing that resource, and how I
feel that resource will improve my instruction and/or the learning
outcomes in the classroom.
Component 1:
Learning Taxonomies
This resource is
called “The
INNOMET Taxonomy of Competences and Skills” and I chose
this resource because it focuses on competency and skills. It draws
from different taxonomies, including Blooms, Anderson's, the SOLO,
and Feisel-Schmitz,[p.8] and how they can applied to achieve
technical learning outcomes.
My abilities as an
instructor will be improved using this resource as it provides a
framework for course module development. This framework is focused on
course development using learning outcomes and goals to design course
content, and recognizes the importance of proper teaching/learning
activities and proper assessment tasks to achieve Constructive
Alignment. Biggs
[1996].
Component 3: Creating a Positive
Classroom Climate or Learning Environment
I chose this
resource because it covers many different aspects of the learning
environment. The direct link is focused on the diversity of classroom
composition, but also links to other resources related to creating a
positive learning environment.
This link improves my understanding of how diversity in adult learners can impact the learning environment, and what I can do as an instructor to ensure the needs of all learners are being met. It makes suggestions on how to deal with challenges that may arise, as well as a general guideline on how to create an adult learning environment.
This link improves my understanding of how diversity in adult learners can impact the learning environment, and what I can do as an instructor to ensure the needs of all learners are being met. It makes suggestions on how to deal with challenges that may arise, as well as a general guideline on how to create an adult learning environment.
Component 5:
Assessment (Formal and Informal) and the Role of Feedback
I chose this resource because it is very much in line with my own
thoughts on assessment and feedback, and the importance of both
instructor and student self-assessment. It defines what feedback,
assessment, guidance, and evaluation are, and which should be used at
various stages of the learning process.
What will allow me to be a better instructor using this resource, is
following its concept that “instructional design is the art of
maximizing self-directed learning and useful information from the
situation, hence the freeing up of the teacher to provide personal
feedback and guidance when needed.”
Component 7:
Media and Learning Aids
The required reading covered the more 'common' types of media
presentation, as well as solid information on how to use them
effectively in the classroom. Social Media, however, was a topic that
was not covered and I searched extensively for ways to use it as a
learning tool.
I found information that outlined the pros and cons, challenges, and
concerns that having social media in the classroom presents. It also
linked me to tools like Edmodo and
Saywire, closed social
media sites, that extend the classroom beyond its walls, and allow
teacher/student collaboration between classroom walls and sessions.
Component 8:
Planning Approaches, Tips, Techniques and Tools
The reason I chose
this link, is that it has a resource for each item in the component.
It has sections for both designing learning and designing
instruction, and while the desired outcome of both is the same,
the steps to get there are different depending on which side of the
classroom you are on.
By having the
guidelines, strategies, lesson tools, and templates all combined in
one location, and going through them in the step-by-step layout
provided, I will have a strong foundation that can grow and evolve as
I do in my capabilities as an instructor.
No comments:
Post a Comment