Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Course Journal #4






Course Journal
Category #4
____________________________________________________________________________

Peter JJ Parkinson
Student I.D. 000363328
Vancouver Community College
PIDP 3100
Abstract

This journal entry is going to reflect on a quote from the text Adult Learning: Linking Theory and Practice (2014). The quote I chose is from category #4 of the assignment and is as follows;

      “Persevering at online learning is also affected by computer and information literacy, time management..online communication skills..self-esteem, feelings of belongingness in the online program and the ability to develop interpersonal skills with peers...”.[p. 199]

      I will explore this quote following the Focused Conversation Model, being objective, reflective, interpretive, and decisional.
      From an objective point of view, I will explain what caught my attention, and what I have learned reflecting on this particular quote. I will reflect on what I have realized about teaching from this quote. My interpretation of how it affects my thoughts on the role of being an adult educator and insights I have gained. Lastly, I will explain how my notion of teaching and how I will teach in the future will be influenced by this reflection.


Objective : What have you learned from reflecting on this particular quote? What has caught your attention?

      This quote basically embodies my entire experience through this first module of the PIDP. I have learned that while I have skills and knowledge which have allowed me to experience aspects of success, there are a number of habits/traits I exhibit that have been to my own detriment in working through this course as successfully as I would have liked.
      I have learned that just because I have strong computer and information literacy skills, it does not guarantee success in online learning, and that in fact, time management and developing relationships with peers, online and in person, are almost more important to reach the learning objectives.
      I have also discovered that while I am generally confident in my own thoughts and ideas, and usually prefer to work as an individual, that research and communicating with other learners can reshape previous perceptions. The result is a compendium of thoughts and ideas that has completely changed my outlook towards being successful in learning and instruction.


Reflective: What did you realize about teaching as a result of this quote?

One of my goals in teaching is to bring technology into an environment where it has really been shunned and avoided for far too long. What I have come to realize is that this is because literacy in technology is not something that is prevalent among the demographic that makes up the industry in which I work.
       “Bryan (2013) cautions that the exponential information overload may be difficult for some learners to process, especially when it comes to conflicts with prior learning or other resources.” [p.199]
      This avoidance of evolving through embracing technology is a product of the instructors, both experienced or taking it on as a new role, who are not comfortable, familiar with, or even aware of the benefits that information technologies such as apps, social networking, and other online tools can offer.
      Without having peers that can relate with experience in the trades, and also possess strong online skills, instructors may not feel they have a good resource to turn to for help. This can be a challenge when attempting to integrate aspects of technology and online learning into their classrooms.


Interpretive: What was your “Aha!” moment when you read this quote? In what way(s) did this quote change your mind about being an adult educator? What was one key insight that you now have as a result of this quote?
 
      This quote really 'clicked' for me when I realized that I began to experience success in my online learning when I exhibited ALL of the attributes that it covers, and that as the course continued I would need to strive to improve in all of them.
      It highlights the fact that while I am making efforts to integrate aspects of online learning into the classroom, I also need to be cognizant that classroom diversity will likely have an impact on different learners online abilities and competencies, and be able to relate my own challenges when steering learners in this new direction.
      Lastly, it has driven home the importance of peer collaboration, communication, and resource development. As an individual I may have a vision, but through developing greater inter-personal skills with other instructors, I can integrate concepts that I may have previously overlooked, while at the same time investing them in the process and encouraging them to embrace it.


Decisional: How has this quote and the insight that you have gained from reflecting upon it, influenced your notion of teaching or how you will teach in the future?


      When introducing new mediums for instructional use it is important to recognize that all students may not have the skills or experience to utilize them to their maximum benefit. This would put them at a disadvantage not only during the learning process, but also when they enter the field, where others will be able to use these tools to their advantage.
      Teaching HOW to use these tools is as important as offering them as a resource. Encouraging students to connect with each other can further this learning, potentially leading to ways in which these tools can be utilized that had not previously been envisioned.

Conclusion
      As in the internet, apps, and other online tools become more integrated into our classrooms, workplaces, and daily lives, it is important that we ensure learners are equipped to embrace and adapt to the rapid and sweeping changes they bring.      I envision students staying connected to each other and to the instructor after they leave the classroom and exit the program, having been given the skills and tools to develop as a community of learners instead of just students in a classroom.


References

Adult Learning: Linking Theory and Practice Sharan B. Merriam , Laura L. Bierema (2013)


No comments:

Post a Comment