Course
Journal
Category
#2
____________________________________________________________________________
Peter
JJ Parkinson
Student
I.D. 000363328
Vancouver
Community College
PIDP
3100
Abstract
This
journal entry is going to reflect on a quote from the text Adult
Learning: Linking Theory and Practice (2014). The quote I chose
is from category #2 of the assignment and is as follows;
“an
educated person is one who has learned how to learn...how to adapt
and change”(p.31)
I will
explore this quote following the Focused Conversation Model, being
objective, reflective, interpretive, and decisional.
From an objective point of view, I will explain what caught my attention, and what I have learned reflecting on this particular quote. I will reflect on what I have realized about teaching from this quote. My interpretation of how it affects my thoughts on the role of being an adult educator and insights I have gained. Lastly, I will explain how my notion of teaching and how I will teach in the future will be influenced by this reflection.
From an objective point of view, I will explain what caught my attention, and what I have learned reflecting on this particular quote. I will reflect on what I have realized about teaching from this quote. My interpretation of how it affects my thoughts on the role of being an adult educator and insights I have gained. Lastly, I will explain how my notion of teaching and how I will teach in the future will be influenced by this reflection.
Objective
: What have you learned from reflecting on this particular quote?
What has caught your attention?
This quote was made by Carl Rogers (1969), a theorist of Humanism
adult learning theory, who is credited with establishing the
“student-centered” approach to adult learning. He also stated,
“that no knowledge is secure, that only the process of seeking
knowledge gives a basis for security”(p.104)(p.31).
In
adult learning this quote is particularly relevant because there is
no single “right” learning theory, and that as an instructor you
need to be aware that students learn in different ways, and be able
to tailor your method of instruction that is beneficial to all
learners to ensure that they are all able to reach the goals and
learning outcomes outlined.
Through this quote, and previous assignments, I have learned that while I have a preferred learning style, the whole of my learning experience has been influenced by a number of different theories, and that I have benefited from all of them in one form or another.
Reflective: What did you realize about teaching as a result of this quote?
Through this quote, and previous assignments, I have learned that while I have a preferred learning style, the whole of my learning experience has been influenced by a number of different theories, and that I have benefited from all of them in one form or another.
Reflective: What did you realize about teaching as a result of this quote?
This quote has made me realize that instruction is as much about
learning as it is about teaching. It has also made me realize that to
facilitate student development it is as important to teach them how
to learn as it is to present course content.
It
is about understanding the different needs of students, learning how
your students learn, and adapting course materials, presentations,
and exercises to ensure you are communicating both to and with them
with the greatest efficacy.
Interpretive: What was your “Aha!” moment when you read this quote? In what way(s) did this quote change your mind about being an adult educator? What was one key insight that you now have as a result of this quote?
Interpretive: What was your “Aha!” moment when you read this quote? In what way(s) did this quote change your mind about being an adult educator? What was one key insight that you now have as a result of this quote?
My “Aha!” moment when I read this quote was when I realized that
I have been learning how I learn in progressing through this course.
Teaching is really a form of self-directed learning, and to be a
successful as possible at it, you need to constantly strive to ensure
you are being the educator you can be.
The world we live in is advancing at such a rapid rate, and it is the role of educators to ensure that the content they are delivering is relevant, and the way in which they present it is current to the needs of the next generation of adult learners.
The world we live in is advancing at such a rapid rate, and it is the role of educators to ensure that the content they are delivering is relevant, and the way in which they present it is current to the needs of the next generation of adult learners.
Decisional: How has this quote and the insight that you have
gained from reflecting upon it, influenced your notion of teaching or
how you will teach in the future?
In this reflection I thought back to a past learning experience with
an instructor who was not nearly as familiar with or competent in
what he was teaching as was required. The topic being covered,
however, was one that many students in the class were not only
familiar with, but also more experienced and knowledgeable than the
instructor was.
Instead of embracing this opportunity to facilitate learning in a
more Constructivism style, he chose to push incorrect and irrelevant
theory, completely disregarding the collective experience and
knowledge of those wanting to actively participate in the teaching
and learning process.
What this has shown me is that the role of the educator is to allow
learning to develop in the way in which it will be most beneficial to
the learners, and instead of focusing only on the learning outcome
and the method in which the content was designed too be delivered,
that it can happen in an unexpected and positive way.
Conclusion
The
roles of adult educators is one that is constantly evolving.
Technology, student needs, and course outcomes all impact the role
adult educators today, and will likely change even more as the
society we live in progresses.
It is the job of the educator to adapt to these changes, embrace technologies, and make changes to stay relevant and ensure that students continue to receive the best instruction possible so that learners can maximize the benefit of education.
It is the job of the educator to adapt to these changes, embrace technologies, and make changes to stay relevant and ensure that students continue to receive the best instruction possible so that learners can maximize the benefit of education.
References
No comments:
Post a Comment