Saturday, 31 January 2015

Category #1 Journal




Course Journal
Category #1
____________________________________________________________________________

Peter JJ Parkinson
Student I.D. 000363328
Vancouver Community College
PIDP 3100


Abstract

This journal entry is going to reflect on a quote from the text Adult Learning: Linking Theory and Practice (2014). The quote I chose is from category #1 of the assignment and is as follows;

      “21st Century competencies include deep understanding, flexibility, and the ability to make creative connections and a range of so-call 'soft skills' including good team working.” (p. 4)

      I will explore this quote following the Focused Conversation Model, being objective, reflective, interpretive, and decisional.
      From an objective point of view, I will explain what caught my attention, and what I have learned reflecting on this particular quote. I will reflect on what I have realized about teaching from this quote. My interpretation of how it affects my thoughts on the role of being an adult educator and insights I have gained. Lastly, I will explain how my notion of teaching and how I will teach in the future will be influenced by this reflection.

Objective: What have you learned from reflecting on this particular quote? What has caught your attention?
      To me, this quote is trying to say that having 'hard skills', that is having the ability to demonstrate competency at an occupation or any other given activity, is no longer meeting the demands of modern workplaces.
      A more diverse skill set is required, including but not limited to, a greater understanding of the 'why' and 'how', and an ability to be more interactive within our environments. 'Soft skills', often associated with the Emotional Intelligence Quotient, like communication, personal habits or traits, friendliness, teamwork, and optimism are as important as any qualifications a person may posses.
      Coming from a work environment that is generally results driven with a focus on 'hard skills', this highlights to me how far behind the industry I work in is when it comes to recognizing the value of these 'soft skills', particularly communication, teamwork, and personal habits.

Reflective: What did you realize about teaching as a result of this quote?
      This quote made me realize that teaching is not just about setting learning objectives based on a skills outcome. It should encourage students to develop a deeper understanding of their environment, instead of just the tasks they perform within it, as well as recognize that modern workplaces are becoming more socially driven, and that with good communication and collaboration that everyone can make a greater contribution to the success of an organization.

Interpretive: What was your “Aha!” moment when you read this quote? In what way(s) did this quote change your mind about being an adult educator? What was one key insight you have as a result of reading this quote?
      In my previous Learning Theory Essay, I focused on Behaviorism as my topic. I chose it because I felt the 'hard skills' that students were leaving the classroom with were inadequate for the demands of the industry, and that the focus on skills development within the behaviorism theory would be the most effective at helping students be the most successful when transitioning from the classroom to the workplace.
      In the short time I have been enrolled in the PIDP, I have come to realize that overall student success cannot be measured only by 'hard skills'. As an educator it is my responsibility to ensure that students leave the classroom with an ability to analyze, adapt, and draw from both previous experience, and the experience of others through communication and teamwork to be as successful as possible.


Decisional: How has this quote and the insight that you have gained from reflecting upon it, influenced your notion of teaching or how you will teach in the future?
     
After reflecting on this quote, as well as feedback from previous assignments, I have come to realize that I value the Constructivism theory of learning and how it applies to the type of learning environment I would like to foster.
      Instead of simply presenting a goal, and outlining the steps that need to be followed to reach the objectives, it is far more valuable to present a problem to students to solve. This gives them an opportunity to analyze the problem and come up with solutions, ultimately leading to a deeper understanding. To achieve this they will likely have to draw not only from their own past experiences, but the experiences of others, and thus creating a more social and teamwork driven learning environment.

Conclusion
      With workplaces changing and evolving at a seemingly ever increasing pace, it is important that students and workers be able to adapt, change, and grow within them. It is also important to be able to recognize the value that can be gained from the combined experience of a more diverse and flexible workforce, and that ongoing adult learning does not happen only in the classroom, and that instructors are not the only ones who can impart knowledge.




                                                                References

Adult Learning: Linking Theory and Practice Sharan B. Merriam , Laura L. Bierema (2013)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_skills

No comments:

Post a Comment